Here are a few of the things that I have learned in 2017. Random order.
– I’m not in control of my feelings. I’m not in control of other people’s behaviour or their thoughts. And, I’m definitely not in control of most things that happen in my life. But, I can control how I react to my feelings. I get to choose the people I surround myself with. Ultimately, I decide who I want to be. As my mum likes to say: “you can’t fight the waves, but you can learn how to surf”.
– I already knew that the structure of my brain alters when I learn something new. But, this year I learned that I can also influence my emotions and the way that I think. The structure of my brain changes when I become aware of habitual reactions to emotions. I am basically the architect of my mind – or, of myself as a person. This is linked to the previous point: I get to choose who I want to be.
– I can’t love others if I am not happy with myself. Relying on other people for happiness doesn’t work and won’t make me happy in the long run. Happiness has to come from me first.
– Family and friends are important. Taking care of them is important too.
– People come and go. That’s ok.
– Being a beginner and learning is fun.
– Sometimes, life doesn’t work out the way that I want it to. Sometimes, it takes me into weird unpredictable directions. But, as Steve Jobs said: “you can’t connect the dots going forward; you can only connect them looking backward.”